How many of us have been reduced to meeting available singles online? Unfortunately, this describes a lot of us lately especially due to our busy lifestyles. There are so many different online services, where you fill out basic information about yourself and what you are looking for in a potential mate. You anxiously await a response to your “ad” and bingo, one finally arrives! You are excited to read it and quickly reply to the email and ask many questions of your potential mate.
The email that you get in return is one big disappointment. It amazes me that so many people exhibit such bad manners in their emails! Are you guilty of this? I bet that you are and might not even be aware of it! There is nothing worse than droning on in an entire email about yourself and asking no questions of the person that you are hoping to get to know better. How do you expect the receiver to respond to this type of email? They may be polite enough to try again and worse, you respond again by just answering their questions while asking none of your own! This behaviour will surely result in you spending many a Friday night alone!
If you are serious about getting to know each other, ask questions, be funny in your emails and remember to take an interest in the other person! Remember, it’s not all about you, your Aunt Edna or your pet monkey!
Here is a Top 10 list of things to do and not do when trying to get to know someone via email:
1. Ask questions about the person, their family, likes, dislikes and encourage a conversation
2.Do a spell check before sending the email!
3. Show humour throughout the entire email; they will be more likely to respond!
4.Give some thought to your email and the message you wish to convey
5. Don’t use a lot of online lingoes (LOL, etc). You don’t want to give the reader the impression that you are more comfortable talking on email than actually meeting!
6. Be completely honest. After all, you are hoping to actually meet this person, aren’t you?
7.Respond to an email within a couple of days. It shows that you are interested and considerate.
8.Don’t suggest meeting in the first email. It may take her some time to warm to the idea!
9. Be polite
10. Have fun, this might be your soul mate!
Enjoy the process of getting to know people as you might make a wonderful friend or two!